Question # 1 How did the government of Japan change during the Meiji restoration?
Question # 2 Describe Japan’s rationale for its westernization.
Question # 3 Describe Japan’s imperialism and militarization.
MULTIPLE CHOICE: SELECT THE BEST ANSWER
1. Capitalism fueled industrialization by
a. Requiring inventors to file patents
b. Encouraging entrepreneurs to establish businesses
c. Giving the country many natural resources
d. Ensuring all workers received high wages
2. During the Industrial Revolution of the late 19th century, farmers in the United States worked to increase their land holdings and modernize their equipment. A lasting effect of these changes was
a. Higher prices for crops
b. Increased rural population density
c. A shortage of land for farming
d. Greater productivity of farming
3. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, improvements in steel technology allowed architects to be design buildings taller than had previously been possible. As a result, skyscrapers began to be built in cities such as New York and Chicago.
What was the result of this new technology on population patterns in the United States in the first half of the 20th century?
a. Decreased growth of suburban areas
b. Migration from the West to the Midwest
c. Greater population density in urban areas
d. Increased migration from urban to rural areas
4. One effect of industrialization in the United States in the late 19th century was
a. A decrease in child labor
b. An increase in demand for handicraft goods
c. A decrease in immigration to the United States
d. An increase in urbanization
5. Which innovation extended the number of hours in a day that Americans could work and play?
a. Bessemer Process
b. Telegraph technology
6. Which industry most spurred economic growth and innovation in related industries?
7. Consider the following changes that occurred in the United States in the late 19th century:
· Improvements in agricultural production
· Increases in immigration from Europe
· Advancements in networks of railroad and streetcar lines.
These changes led to the
a. Rapid growth of urban areas
b. Acquisition of overseas territories
c. Elimination of large suburbs around many cities
d. Movement of people from the urban to rural areas
8. Why was the formation of labor unions an effect of U.S. industrialization in the late 1800s?
a. Union were needed to guarantee a steady supply of workers
b. Union membership was required for employment in new industries
c. Factory owners set up labor unions in order to control their large workforce
d. Unions organized industrial workers to protest unsafe working conditions and long workdays.
9. The economic development of the United States between 1870 and 1950 helped produce the results shown in the above graph. The trend shown in the graph is associated with
a. Increased urbanization
b. Decreased immigration
c. Advances in communication
d. Reduced population growth