World Literature Essay #2
Choose two of the texts listed below:
- Frederick Douglass, Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass
- Leo Tolstoy, The Death of Ivan Ilyich
- Thomas Mann, Death in Venice
- Zhang Ailing, “Sealed Off”
- Any poem from the final two weeks of class
In your essay, respond to one of the following prompts:
- What do the texts you have selected suggest about the value of literacy, literature, art, or beauty?
- What do the texts you have selected suggest about the human propensity to distract oneself from significant issues, such as mortality?
Tips for Getting Started:
- Once you have made your selections above, you must examine the texts to arrive at a thesis, which will be your statement about what you think these works suggest about your theme.
- Each body paragraph should begin with a topic sentence that pertains to your thesis.
- Each body paragraph should include quotations from both texts.
- In your interpretation and work with these quotations, you should aim to show how these texts achieve what you have claimed is their comment on your theme.
- Quote the text directly and draw out meaning by paying close attention to wording, images, metaphors, dialogue, or characterization. You do need to address all of these things. I simply offer them as a few valuable approaches.
- Offer a title that encapsulates your argument.
- Your essay must be typed and submitted to CANVAS by the due date listed above.
- Essay must be at least 750 words (3 full pages), double spaced, 12 point, Times New Roman font.
- Upload your essay as a Word Document
- Do not do your own research; rely only on the texts you have chosen
- Use MLA formatting