Please replace the question in the story map with the question below. Use the information under “Topic 1: Introduction” to answer the question. Please disregard the linking article about Jamestown, Virginia.
Question 1: The majority of the world’s human population lives on or near a river.
2. If our ability to predict floods has improved significantly, why does economic loss continue to rise? (Check all that apply).
A. Increased urbanization
B. Increased population
C. Increased development along coasts
D. Increased real estate values
3. What are/is not a potential outcome(s) or condition(s) resulting from too much nitrogen running off from agricultural fields?
A. Eutrophication of water bodies
B. Decrease in crop production
C. Contamination of groundwater
D. Health issues in infants
4. Which is not a way humans contribute to stream bank erosion?
A. Vegetation removal
B. Increase in impervious surfaces
C. Wave action from boats
D. Wind erosion of exposed banks
5. What impacts do dams have on the transportation of sediment? (Check all that apply).
A. Water upstream of the dam will increase in flow velocity and erode sediment.
B. Water upstream of the dam will decrease in flow velocity and deposit sediment.
C. Water immediately downstream of the dam will have a high sediment load and deposit sediment.
D. Water immediately downstream of the dam will be relatively free of sediment, and the river will erode its bed and banks to reestablish its missing sediment load.
Questions 6, 7, 8, & 9 introduce you to cities located along major rivers. These questions are multi-part and are formatted as short answer questions in the D2L quiz. To receive credit for these questions, correct answers must be provided in the format described below. Answers not provided in this format will be marked incorrect and will not receive credit.
– Questions 6-8: list the capital letter of the multiple choice option that corresponds to the appropriate city, followed by the capital letter of the multiple choice option that corresponds to the appropriate river. List the capital letters only; do not include the city or river names. Do not include periods or spaces between, before, or after the answers. For example, the correct answer for question 6 should be entered as:
– Question 9: Provide your answer in the same format used for questions 6-8. List the capital letter that corresponds to the appropriate latitude, followed by the capital letter that corresponds to the appropriate longitude, followed by the capital letter that corresponds to the appropriate river. List the capital letters only. Do not include periods or spaces between, before, or after your answers.
6. City, River? Hint: For #6 and the other questions in this section, note that you may have to zoom out to see the city label after you arrive at a coordinate location in the story map.
7. City, River?
8. City, River? Hint: rather than clicking on the yellow line to determine the river name for #8, zoom out and determine the river name using the labels shown on the story map.