1. Discuss air pressure and some of the factors that affect air pressure? How would air pressure change from the base of a 20,000 foot mountain to the top?
2. As water cools, two distinct changes take place in the behavior of molecules: Their slower movement tends to increase density, whereas the formation of bulky ice crystals decreases density. Can you describe how the relative rates of their occurrence cause pure water to have a temperature of maximum density at 4°C (39.2°F) and make ice less dense than liquid water?
3. We have all experienced a sudden change in temperature and weather conditions. This typical when a front or an air mass passes through a region. An air mass is a large atmospheric area in the lower atmosphere with similar temperature and moisture. Can you discuss the behavior/movements of air masses? What are the major types of air masses or fronts that we experience in North America?
4. Why is the polar front an important feature in the midlatitudes?
5. Why are condensation nuclei important for precipitation to occur?
6. What is the basic difference between a warm front and a cold front? Why is the term front used in association with these concepts?
7. What is the basic difference between a warm front and a cold front? Why is the term front used in association with these concepts?