Are You For or Against Globalization?
Globalization has changed our world in complex ways, and there is an ongoing debate about whether globalization has been (and continues to be) a positive force in our society. In this activity, you will take and defend a position on globalization through a written assignment.
- Begin by researching globalization. Especially consider the pros and cons of globalization in both modern societies and throughout history. Crash Course provides a good video introduction to the debate. You might consider topics such as:
- Population movement, borders, and refugee crises
- International bodies (UN, IMF, World Bank, ICC)
- Free trade and the migration of industry
- Global industrialization and climate change
- The impact of the internet and social media
- Reactions to globalization: protectionism, xenophobia, and new nationalist movements
- Extremism and global terror
- Take a position on globalization. For the purposes of this assignment, you must either be in favor of globalization or against it.
- Write a paper arguing your position. Your paper must:
- Argue a position for or against globalization, You must include at least THREE arguments for and THREE arguments against. The best essays will demonstrate knowledge of both positions.
- be at least 500 words or more (approximately two double-spaced pages),
- include at least two reputable sources.